Skip to main content

Mandalorian S2 Climax- Super or Sellout? (Warning - Massive Spoilers Ahead)

No one who knows anything about the Skywalker saga can deny the final scenes of The Mandalorian Season 2 are anything but spectacular. The arrival of the mysterious X-wing, the green lightsaber, the black-gloved hand, all build toward an exhilarating and surprising reveal.

Personally, I thought the return of Luke Skywalker in the prime of his Jedi powers was an awesome sight. My partner on the other hand? Not so much. My partner isn't a long-time Star Wars fan. She doesn't know much about the Skywalker clan and doesn't much care to find out BUT, she loves the Mandalorian and she especially loves little Grogu. 

Toward the end of season two's final episode, while I was getting more and more excited as clues began to drop as to what was about to happen, my partner was becoming frustrated and confused.

"What's going on?" she asked, bewildered at the sudden and unexplained turn of events. "Who's this guy?"

At the time I was too overwhelmed with childish excitement to understand her confusion. "What?" I said. "That's Luke! Luke Skywalker! Holy fucking shit!"

But for some reason this explanation didn't seem to impress her as much as I thought it should. It wasn't until later, when I tried to see things from my partner's point of view, that I understood why she thought the end of season two was the absolute worst. 

Unlike every other episode, it completely ignores new fans in favour of service to long-time followers. Writers up to that point had been very careful to provide context for Easter-eggs and call-backs, and until now it's been a lot of fun for ALL FANS. But the last scenes of season two abruptly and completely abandon new fans, no explanations, no context.

Worst of all, for viewers whose primary motivation for watching the show is the
Baby-Yoda cuteness overload machine, it appears as though their favourite character has just been stolen away by a weird-looking (is that a real guy? What's wrong with his mouth?) wizard with a terrible hair-cut. 

In short, while I loved the entire episode, my partner -- who adores Baby-Yoda, couldn't give two shits about Luke Skywalker, and who is now under the impression her favourite character is exiting the show -- may never watch it again.

Was the price of alienating new fans worth the payoff for long-time Star Wars stalwarts? I suppose time will tell...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darkendore: Knight Defender - due to popular demand

Readership has ticked up on the Tales: Choose your own story app, and since a bunch of folks have asked for more Darkendore, I've decided to give it to them. I really enjoy writing Darkendore and all its weird and wonderful characters.  Darkendore: Knight Defender will focus more on developing friendships and love interests, but you can still expect plenty of plot twists and turns, as you attempt to beat back the forces of evil threatening to overwhelm Castle Darkendore this time around. You can play Darkendore: Knight Defender here:  https://link.talescreator.com/qJRhANAwwBb or the original Darkendore game here:  https://link.talescreator.com/No4wDnkHfxb

The Outer Worlds - It's [insert favorite RPG, Movie, Book, TV show] - In Space!!

The first thing I'm gonna say about this game is: I freaking love it. Everything that comes after should be seen through that lens. The second thing I'm going to say is that the writers/devs on the The Outer Worlds are sharp. You know the saying, "You can't please all of the people, all of the time"? Well, Obsidian Entertainment has shown that you really, really can. It's been said many-a-time that "This Game" is just Skyrim with guns, or "That Game" is just Fallout in Space etc... Well, The Outer Worlds is all that and it doesn't care what you think about plundering pop culture for kicks. There are numerous nods to other games, sure, but (and I want to emphasize this) not only games. There are references to TV shows, movies, music, books, table-top RPGs, the list goes on, and it's not confined to the SF/F genres. Conversations are 1 on 1. Very Reminiscent of Oblivion. And like early Elder Scrolls, the voice acting is

I Joined A Writer's Group

I guess there's a first time for everything! As part of my commitment to start writing again I joined the Canberra Spec Fic Goup (CSFG) as an 'outer' Canberra member. Since I'm based in Tassie their definition of 'outer' is clearly pretty broad, which is great for me. I already know a few of the guys and I met a few more last year at the launch of Next so I'm hoping being a part of writerly discussion will bring me back from the brink of oblivion and set me firmly back on the page once more.